Keep your home safe
– Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas cookers, fires and boilers can put you at risk from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions. Just like you get your car MOT certificate every year, you should have your home gas safety checked every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with CO poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning. It can be released by any appliance or heating system that burns oil, gas or solid fuel, including wood, if they are not properly installed, used or maintained or where adequate ventilation has not been provided.
Each year in the UK, there are around 40 deaths from accidental CO poisoning and in excess of 200 non-fatal cases that require hospitalisation. Gas Safe Register estimates that there are around 7,500 illegal gas fitters operating across the UK and up to 250,000 illegal gas jobs may be carried out each year. Although there is awareness that gas appliances need to be safety checked annually, 43% of Britons don’t do it, and 10% have gas appliances which have never been checked.
Local gas engineer, Steven Harper, advises that insurance companies require that your gas appliances have an annual service. So if you have a gas appliance in your home or caravan, please give Steven a call to get it checked out. Better to Be Safe… than sorry.